NANOTECHNOLOGY IN CIVIL ENGINEERING
The soil conditions actually encountered in this construction project are not suitable for a superstructure without prior measures due to its location and previous use. Preliminary geotechnical investigations have already described these conditions before. Therefore, a large-scale soil replacement was decided upon. In the traffic areas (approx. 2,000 sqm) there was no need for expensive soil replacement and a soil stabilisation with Nanoalps System Soil was carried out.
Stabilising the soil under the building areas would have required additional time-consuming preliminary geotechnical investigations, which were not feasible at the time of construction.
Reasons for stabilisation with nanotechnology are:
- Achievement of the required loads (>45 MN/m2)
- Improvement of the eco-balance (CO2 emissions) by saving on truck transports for soil exchange
- Savings in the disposal of possibly contaminated soil
- Reduction of the construction time
- Conservation of resources
- Reduction of construction costs
Due to the difficult soil conditions, GGU Gesellschaft für Grundbau und Unwelttechnik GmbH was commissioned with the geological monitoring. GGU GmbH already has many years of experience in the use of nanotechnology. After taking soil samples, a suitability test was carried out.